Wednesday, May 13, 2009

May 11th-Still on delay




May 11, 2009-Monday

I woke up at 7:00am this morning. I don’t know what kind of timing that is because that would be 3:00pm back home-Whatever. I was up, so, I made my breakfast of eggs and oddly shaped bread with teaspoon of jelly that I smuggled from the airplane.

I was smart enough to bring cooking spray so my eggs were just the way I like them-sunny side up and virtually fat-free but I had to giggle as I spread the jelly on my bread with a chopstick. I called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day and I got a little sad when she said “OK, phone calls are expensive so-Bye!” but she’s right… I guess L

I finished the rest of my usual morning ritual, put on some workout clothes and headed outside. I walk/jogged around the city for 2 hours watching the city wake up. I discovered a bunch of tiny little details by accident, such as: taxis will always honk at walkers to see if they need a ride not because they think you’re cute; you should pass other pedestrians on the left, not on the right or they will knock you over with a dirty look; and, if a coffee shop looks “American,” expect to trade them your arm to pay for it!

Another interesting bit of knowledge is that “working out” at the park does not just mean walking the trails. There is actual gym equipment in the park!....Outside! There are “Gymmer” machines in every park I’ve seen so far. Since I don’t have a gym membership anymore and my back was killing me after the plane ride I went ahead and started working out. Luckily, I found a park near the Korean Sports Training Center that was surrounded by trees and blocked off from the street. I was able to work out in peace and even found some coins that someone had lost while they were working out. Good thing I did not brag yesterday, huh?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the fact that you brought cooking spray from home in your luggage -- what, they don't sell cooking spray in Korea?! :) Glad to hear you're working out, although it seems more out of necessity. Poor thing, your bed looks so uncomfortable! Maybe you should buy that egg foam stuff that students put on the bed under their sheets...? And, walking on the lefthandside of the sidewalk reminds me of England -- do they also drive on the lefthandside of the street? It sounds like you're totally getting acquainted with your neighborhood -- good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no. they drive on the right side, so, I totally don't understand it but, what ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boys and I found your video of your 6x6 cell very amusing! I knew about the gym things in the park, btw since I did a project on asian population for a nursing project. (cultural sensitivity crap, ha ha) That is why you are not going to return back to the US in a year and be a fat american! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete